Ryan Yates
(21-06-2022, 12:53 PM)McDurban Wrote:
(21-06-2022, 12:32 PM)zicorice Wrote:
(21-06-2022, 10:21 AM)Paplane Wrote:
(21-06-2022, 09:40 AM)zicorice Wrote: I love Yatesy and have defended him in dark days gone by. I believe I stated he will definitely be a Prem player and I hoped it would be with us...so far so good.

BUT: Everyone who has followed his development from Barrow loan to Prem will be aware, Yatesy has always taken a little time to settle into each level he has stepped up to. Hopefully after bossing Arsenal, Leicester and holding his own v Scousepool it will be a seamless stepping up, especially with Cooper's influence.
What I dread is the doom mongerers going all "He's a Championship player"  "Not good enough to be challenging in Prem"  etc (remember those comments but replacing Championship with Lesgue 1 and Prem with playoffs?)

One thing we should all know by now is that Yatesy will make the step up sooner or later and be absolutely key in our progression as a club.

You've beaten me to it Zico. Yatesy has stepped up to every new challenge he's faced so far in his career and every one of the managers he's worked under have been lapping him up. Who knows where his high bar is.

Qatar ??

I'm in Qatar at the moment and they ain't finished the roads yet!

Meh, roads are overated anyway.
Reply
(21-06-2022, 09:44 AM)zicorice Wrote:
(02-03-2022, 09:53 AM)Madforit Wrote:
(21-12-2021, 05:46 PM)Sniffer Dog Wrote: Rumour has it that both GreenMan and Madforit have both bought shirts with Yates name on the back for Christmas.

I'd sooner buy a derby shirt.

Couldn't help it sorry....

Yeah but is he getting Yates name on the back of his new Derby shirt that'd the question?!
Reply
Assuming Yates is starting this season, I'd have him as a sneaky option in fantasy football. Goalscoring midfielder in the Soucek mould.
Reply
(21-06-2022, 01:25 PM)Paplane Wrote:
(21-06-2022, 12:53 PM)McDurban Wrote:
(21-06-2022, 12:32 PM)zicorice Wrote:
(21-06-2022, 10:21 AM)Paplane Wrote:
(21-06-2022, 09:40 AM)zicorice Wrote: I love Yatesy and have defended him in dark days gone by. I believe I stated he will definitely be a Prem player and I hoped it would be with us...so far so good.

BUT: Everyone who has followed his development from Barrow loan to Prem will be aware, Yatesy has always taken a little time to settle into each level he has stepped up to. Hopefully after bossing Arsenal, Leicester and holding his own v Scousepool it will be a seamless stepping up, especially with Cooper's influence.
What I dread is the doom mongerers going all "He's a Championship player"  "Not good enough to be challenging in Prem"  etc (remember those comments but replacing Championship with Lesgue 1 and Prem with playoffs?)

One thing we should all know by now is that Yatesy will make the step up sooner or later and be absolutely key in our progression as a club.

You've beaten me to it Zico. Yatesy has stepped up to every new challenge he's faced so far in his career and every one of the managers he's worked under have been lapping him up. Who knows where his high bar is.

Qatar ??

I'm in Qatar at the moment and they ain't finished the roads yet!

Meh, roads are overated anyway.

Rhodes is overrated, can't see him doing any better than Huddersfield.
Reply
(21-06-2022, 01:27 PM)wassy04 Wrote: Assuming Yates is starting this season, I'd have him as a sneaky option in fantasy football. Goalscoring midfielder in the Soucek mould.

It's an interesting debate, I am one of Ryan's biggest fans but is he going to start as first choice in the centre of our midfield this season? I dunno I'm not convinced to be honest.
Panic on the streets of Croydon, Derby, Sheffield, Leicestershire.
Reply
(21-06-2022, 02:02 PM)Sniffer Dog (Admin) Wrote:
(21-06-2022, 01:27 PM)wassy04 Wrote: Assuming Yates is starting this season, I'd have him as a sneaky option in fantasy football. Goalscoring midfielder in the Soucek mould.

It's an interesting debate, I am one of Ryan's biggest fans but is he going to start as first choice in the centre of our midfield this season? I dunno I'm not convinced to be honest.

He was one of our key players, we should reward the players that got us here particularly the academy ones. Plus, we've got enough holes to fill to replace the loanees, we don't want to be signing a whole new team right?
Reply
He may not be the best player on the field but you can guarantee he is going to leave it all out there every week. You need those get ball, break up play, pass to someone else kind of players in the Premiership plus he will chip in with goals.
Reply
Every club needs a Yates like player. Provides that context of what it means to play for the club to anyone arriving and keeps everyone honest. He isn't going to be the best but when the chips are down then he is the sort of guy you will want fighting for you. 

One day he might need to move on and he might not be what we need to get to where we want to strive for long term but for now he is the beating heart of the side and we are better for it.
Reply
(21-06-2022, 04:10 PM)RedMW Wrote: He may not be the best player on the field but you can guarantee he is going to leave it all out there every week. You need those get ball, break up play, pass to someone else kind of players in the Premiership plus he will chip in with goals.

Yes I agree and i like Yatesy a lot but if there is a better version of that what you describe above who is available I wouldn't be against signing him.
Panic on the streets of Croydon, Derby, Sheffield, Leicestershire.
Reply
(22-06-2022, 08:01 AM)Sniffer Dog (Admin) Wrote:
(21-06-2022, 04:10 PM)RedMW Wrote: He may not be the best player on the field but you can guarantee he is going to leave it all out there every week. You need those get ball, break up play, pass to someone else kind of players in the Premiership plus he will chip in with goals.

Yes I agree and i like Yatesy a lot but if there is a better version of that what you describe above who is available I wouldn't be against signing him.

Oh 100% if you could upgrade in any position you would go for it but I don't think you would get the passion Yates brings to the team, it feels like it means more to him with every tackle, goal, win. 

He certainly has earnt his stripes and deserves the chance in the Premiership
Reply
Yes it's going to be fascinating to see whether or not Yatesy can nail down a starting position for himself in our side in the PL.
Panic on the streets of Croydon, Derby, Sheffield, Leicestershire.
Reply
Teams that tend to do well in their first year after promotion are the ones that don't make loads of changes straight away. Just a couple of big signings, in our case it's trickier as a number of our first 11 were loans and it appears like we're not going to bring many of them back. Suggests to me even more so that the ones we still have should play an integral role next year. Yates being one of them
Reply


Forum Jump: