Posts: 12,252
Threads: 12
Joined: May 2018
Reputation:
86
(26-08-2026, 01:37 PM)wassy04 Wrote: (26-08-2026, 01:04 PM)Paplane Wrote: I think the biggest disappointment for me so far is that over the last 2 seasons Aina and Williams have been two of our strongest players. Now, both of these seem to be struggling to adapt to their new role. It's like we're throwing away the advantage their talent gives us, for the sake of a system.
It's the same for our back 4 generally. Aina, Williams, Milenkovic and Murillo. When all are fit that's decent. Now none of them, and the third CB, look like they've got a clue.
Aina was a pretty clear weak link last year, never properly recovered from the injury so not sure that's a fair representation.
I would've said before those first two games that Neco is perfectly suited to playing wing back and has played there previously under Pereira and looked fine. I think this is all a massive overreaction after two games personally.
I said 2 seasons Wassy. Aina was brilliant under Nuno. Yes, his season was spoilt last year but he's fit now and would, I'm sure, be back to his best at RB.
Posts: 11,129
Threads: 56
Joined: Jun 2018
Reputation:
62
(26-08-2026, 01:55 PM)Paplane Wrote: (26-08-2026, 01:37 PM)wassy04 Wrote: (26-08-2026, 01:04 PM)Paplane Wrote: I think the biggest disappointment for me so far is that over the last 2 seasons Aina and Williams have been two of our strongest players. Now, both of these seem to be struggling to adapt to their new role. It's like we're throwing away the advantage their talent gives us, for the sake of a system.
It's the same for our back 4 generally. Aina, Williams, Milenkovic and Murillo. When all are fit that's decent. Now none of them, and the third CB, look like they've got a clue.
Aina was a pretty clear weak link last year, never properly recovered from the injury so not sure that's a fair representation.
I would've said before those first two games that Neco is perfectly suited to playing wing back and has played there previously under Pereira and looked fine. I think this is all a massive overreaction after two games personally.
I said 2 seasons Wassy. Aina was brilliant under Nuno. Yes, his season was spoilt last year but he's fit now and would, I'm sure, be back to his best at RB.
Ah yeah didn't see that, I do agree he was a massive strength under Nuno that season. He has struggled with injuries in other years too though, I guess that's how he ended up here rather than someone better. I think it's fair to say that one season under Nuno was an outlier compared to the rest of his career too. Whichever formation we played, he would've been one we would've surely wanted at least competition for.
Posts: 12,252
Threads: 12
Joined: May 2018
Reputation:
86
(26-08-2026, 02:15 PM)wassy04 Wrote: (26-08-2026, 01:55 PM)Paplane Wrote: (26-08-2026, 01:37 PM)wassy04 Wrote: (26-08-2026, 01:04 PM)Paplane Wrote: I think the biggest disappointment for me so far is that over the last 2 seasons Aina and Williams have been two of our strongest players. Now, both of these seem to be struggling to adapt to their new role. It's like we're throwing away the advantage their talent gives us, for the sake of a system.
It's the same for our back 4 generally. Aina, Williams, Milenkovic and Murillo. When all are fit that's decent. Now none of them, and the third CB, look like they've got a clue.
Aina was a pretty clear weak link last year, never properly recovered from the injury so not sure that's a fair representation.
I would've said before those first two games that Neco is perfectly suited to playing wing back and has played there previously under Pereira and looked fine. I think this is all a massive overreaction after two games personally.
I said 2 seasons Wassy. Aina was brilliant under Nuno. Yes, his season was spoilt last year but he's fit now and would, I'm sure, be back to his best at RB.
Ah yeah didn't see that, I do agree he was a massive strength under Nuno that season. He has struggled with injuries in other years too though, I guess that's how he ended up here rather than someone better. I think it's fair to say that one season under Nuno was an outlier compared to the rest of his career too. Whichever formation we played, he would've been one we would've surely wanted at least competition for.
That season under Nuno he was up there as being one of the best full backs in the country. He may well have had a chequered injury record before he came to us, I don't know about that but in a Forest shirt he's been mightily impressive in my book. That's why I'll be so disappointed if he's cast aside in favour of someone of lesser talent who can play in 'the system'. It seems such a shame to me. I don't know if this Spanish lad is Aina's replacement or his cover. We'll find out I guess.
Posts: 19,590
Threads: 616
Joined: May 2018
Reputation:
209
Location: Athens
This 3 at the back or 5 at the back call it want you want but it is clearly not working for us in my opinion especially at home.
Not having Sangare or CHO involved just seems daft.
I know it is very early days but I am not against a shift back to a 4231
Panic on the streets of Croydon, Derby, Sheffield, Leicestershire.
Posts: 992
Threads: 1
Joined: May 2018
Reputation:
6
Location: WFCG
I agree on Sangare/CHO - not sure why he isnt getting sniff when we need to unlock defences. Cant see Glasner changing his approach though.
Posts: 12,334
Threads: 16
Joined: Jun 2018
Reputation:
119
I wish he would show some flexibility when a system isn’t working in a game. The 3 at the back is fine playing away or against your top teams. It’s doesn’t work when the opposition plays low/mid block especially at home.
Sniffer showed some quote from OG a few weeks back where he said he preferred a 4231. Not seen any evidence whatsoever here or at Palace?
When your only attacking option on the left is a natural right back it doesn’t make sense.
Posts: 11,129
Threads: 56
Joined: Jun 2018
Reputation:
62
(20-09-2026, 09:16 AM)Salvatore Matrecano Wrote: I wish he would show some flexibility when a system isn’t working in a game. The 3 at the back is fine playing away or against your top teams. It’s doesn’t work when the opposition plays low/mid block especially at home.
Sniffer showed some quote from OG a few weeks back where he said he preferred a 4231. Not seen any evidence whatsoever here or at Palace?
When your only attacking option on the left is a natural right back it doesn’t make sense.
3 home games in and its hard to disagree, looks good away from home but we seem to be struggling to work out how to attack at home at all. Isn’t this what the Palace fans said would happen too?
Posts: 11,129
Threads: 56
Joined: Jun 2018
Reputation:
62
Watching the highlight atm, there was one moment where Delap got played in and there was 6 Coventry defenders and no Forest attackers (N'Doye eventually shot over). Seems to sum up where we're going wrong atm, the attackers and wingbacks are just not getting far enough forward.
Posts: 669
Threads: 3
Joined: Jan 2019
Reputation:
12
20-09-2026, 11:10 AM
(This post was last modified: 20-09-2026, 11:12 AM by Red Dog.)
Have to say that I think Murillo ia going backwards in terms of his form. He is clearly not the player he was 2 years ago. I am hoping this is temporary and can be resolved quickly.
Rise of the Garybaldi
Posts: 3,250
Threads: 13
Joined: Jun 2018
Reputation:
33
The one thing this team needs to do first, to improve their fortunes is start the match at a much quicker and authoritative pace.
They are too slow out the blocks.
Getting an early goal before the opposition has time to settle in, has to be a priority.
Just like under Nuno, Forest were able to dictate games without the ball once they got their nose in front.
Same applies now.
Posts: 429
Threads: 0
Joined: Apr 2024
Reputation:
3
Location: Nottingham
If starting with 3 central defenders which has worked for Glasner throughout his career, then we need a 10 who can run in behind. That is why NDoye starts but he is simply not good enough. Sangare should be starting no matter what system we are playing and Plan B if Plan A is not working should be CHO and Netz coming on for Munoz and a central defender. Also I agree that Ola should have started on saturday ahead of Cunha.
Posts: 12,334
Threads: 16
Joined: Jun 2018
Reputation:
119
Not a huge fan of stats when they get in depth but this is the topline stuff and suggests our underlying play isn’t too bad.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/art...v4y7jv182o
Sort of confirms what we know, take a few more chances and have a few less ridiculous VAR interventions (which aren’t counted in the stats) then we should be OK.
|