Nottingham Forest - Luton Town
(22-10-2023, 11:43 AM)Sniffer Dog (Admin) Wrote:
(22-10-2023, 11:37 AM)Fumanchew Wrote: For all that’s been said of Luton this season I think they have more balls then we did last season.

I know people are saying that the first 3 changes lost the midfield but these are experience subs, cooper should be able to rely on them for 25 mins. We saw last season Joe with broken ribs come back and get his head to ball on the ground. Where was that mentality yesterday? Kouyate played 90mins against Cameroon, 25 mins against Luton protecting the back 4 should have been child’s play

It's interesting that Steve said he took Boly off because of Jet lag and he brings Kouyate on who must have also been suffering from jet lag...

Jet lag my arse, what a load of bollocks. Funny how the word jet lag has never been trotted out before until yesterday.

Jet lag, how convenient.

Well at that point Boly had played 70 mins and Kouyate had played 0 mins so I suspect he thought he was capable of playing another 20 whereas Boly was probably a bit tired.
Reply
(24-10-2023, 10:58 AM)wassy04 Wrote:
(22-10-2023, 11:43 AM)Sniffer Dog (Admin) Wrote:
(22-10-2023, 11:37 AM)Fumanchew Wrote: For all that’s been said of Luton this season I think they have more balls then we did last season.

I know people are saying that the first 3 changes lost the midfield but these are experience subs, cooper should be able to rely on them for 25 mins. We saw last season Joe with broken ribs come back and get his head to ball on the ground. Where was that mentality yesterday? Kouyate played 90mins against Cameroon, 25 mins against Luton protecting the back 4 should have been child’s play

It's interesting that Steve said he took Boly off because of Jet lag and he brings Kouyate on who must have also been suffering from jet lag... 

Jet lag my arse, what a load of bollocks. Funny how the word jet lag has never been trotted out before until yesterday.

Jet lag, how convenient.

Well at that point Boly had played 70 mins and Kouyate had played 0 mins so I suspect he thought he was capable of playing another 20 whereas Boly was probably a bit tired.

Well, I am 100% certain Boly would have stayed on if it was only 1-0.
Panic on the streets of Croydon, Derby, Sheffield, Leicestershire.
Reply
(24-10-2023, 07:42 AM)Mist From The Trent Wrote: He played 45 minutes against a team that had a striker on the left wing? He didn't contribute anything going forward either. Phenomenal?

Absolutely
Reply
(24-10-2023, 11:08 AM)Sniffer Dog (Admin) Wrote:
(24-10-2023, 10:58 AM)wassy04 Wrote:
(22-10-2023, 11:43 AM)Sniffer Dog (Admin) Wrote:
(22-10-2023, 11:37 AM)Fumanchew Wrote: For all that’s been said of Luton this season I think they have more balls then we did last season.

I know people are saying that the first 3 changes lost the midfield but these are experience subs, cooper should be able to rely on them for 25 mins. We saw last season Joe with broken ribs come back and get his head to ball on the ground. Where was that mentality yesterday? Kouyate played 90mins against Cameroon, 25 mins against Luton protecting the back 4 should have been child’s play

It's interesting that Steve said he took Boly off because of Jet lag and he brings Kouyate on who must have also been suffering from jet lag...

Jet lag my arse, what a load of bollocks. Funny how the word jet lag has never been trotted out before until yesterday.

Jet lag, how convenient.

Well at that point Boly had played 70 mins and Kouyate had played 0 mins so I suspect he thought he was capable of playing another 20 whereas Boly was probably a bit tired.

Well, I am 100% certain Boly would have stayed on if it was only 1-0.

Well if he was saying he felt tight, why risk one of our most important players (due to Felipe injury) right now when you're cruising at 2-0 up?

I think Zico was right, in isolation all three subs made perfect sense. Making them all at the same time seemed to have a negative impact.

I'd be interested to know, honestly, how many people at the moment of making the subs thought "that's a terrible decision right there."
Reply
(24-10-2023, 11:41 AM)wassy04 Wrote:
(24-10-2023, 11:08 AM)Sniffer Dog (Admin) Wrote:
(24-10-2023, 10:58 AM)wassy04 Wrote:
(22-10-2023, 11:43 AM)Sniffer Dog (Admin) Wrote:
(22-10-2023, 11:37 AM)Fumanchew Wrote: For all that’s been said of Luton this season I think they have more balls then we did last season.

I know people are saying that the first 3 changes lost the midfield but these are experience subs, cooper should be able to rely on them for 25 mins. We saw last season Joe with broken ribs come back and get his head to ball on the ground. Where was that mentality yesterday? Kouyate played 90mins against Cameroon, 25 mins against Luton protecting the back 4 should have been child’s play

It's interesting that Steve said he took Boly off because of Jet lag and he brings Kouyate on who must have also been suffering from jet lag...

Jet lag my arse, what a load of bollocks. Funny how the word jet lag has never been trotted out before until yesterday.

Jet lag, how convenient.

Well at that point Boly had played 70 mins and Kouyate had played 0 mins so I suspect he thought he was capable of playing another 20 whereas Boly was probably a bit tired.

Well, I am 100% certain Boly would have stayed on if it was only 1-0.

Well if he was saying he felt tight, why risk one of our most important players (due to Felipe injury) right now when you're cruising at 2-0 up?

I think Zico was right, in isolation all three subs made perfect sense. Making them all at the same time seemed to have a negative impact.

I'd be interested to know, honestly, how many people at the moment of making the subs thought "that's a terrible decision right there."

Dunno Wassy, I don't think Boly himself actually said he felt tight did he? The only thing I have heard said from either Boly or Steve is jet lag (from Steve).

Anyway what's done is done mate and we can't turn the clock back now.
Panic on the streets of Croydon, Derby, Sheffield, Leicestershire.
Reply
(24-10-2023, 11:41 AM)wassy04 Wrote: I'd be interested to know, honestly, how many people at the moment of making the subs thought "that's a terrible decision right there."

It may surprise you but I was one of them, said it to my mate who now obviously thinks I jinxed the whole thing. As said individually you can justify all of them, collectively you take the spine out of the team and even if its just for a few minutes gives the opposition time to regroup.

Im not specifically criticising Cooper because you see a triple sub pretty frequently in the Premier League and we have done it before too. Just this is the first time it has backfired spectacularly on us. Again as said by several if a couple moments had panned out differently then everyone goes “well done Cooper brilliant use of subs to see the game out”
Suspect he has learned his lesson and doesn’t do it again in a hurry.
Reply
(24-10-2023, 01:40 PM)Salvatore Matrecano Wrote:
(24-10-2023, 11:41 AM)wassy04 Wrote: I'd be interested to know, honestly, how many people at the moment of making the subs thought "that's a terrible decision right there."

It may surprise you but I was one of them, said it to my mate who now obviously thinks I jinxed the whole thing. As said individually you can justify all of them, collectively you take the spine out of the team and even if its just for a few minutes gives the opposition time to regroup.

Im not specifically criticising Cooper because you see a triple sub pretty frequently in the Premier League and we have done it before too. Just this is the first time it has backfired spectacularly on us. Again as said by several if a couple moments had panned out differently then everyone goes “well done Cooper brilliant use of subs to see the game out”
Suspect he has learned his lesson and doesn’t do it again in a hurry.

Maybe it's just me then! My reaction was, ah ok shame Boly is coming off but probably a bit tired so fair play. Didn't really think about the others, I guess I was of the assumption that Yates/Kouyate would be able to shut down Luton fine.

Problem is last year we got screwed by him making single subs and then having to burn sub windows for injuries which obviously cost us a point at Brentford when we ended up finishing with 10. So he's damned if he does, damned if he doesn't. Maybe he just needs to be luckier.
Reply
If you've dominated for 70 minutes against a shite team and are 2-0 up, why wouldn't it be reasonable to assume that the professional footballers coming on for the last 20 minutes or so would be able to see out the game? Especially when one bleeds garibaldi and another was many people's 'first name on the team sheet' until they spunked £30m on a player yet to show he's much better on a consistent basis?

If you've dominated for 70 minutes against a shite team and are 2-0 up, why wouldn't it be reasonable for a manager to think its an opportunity to rotate a few players to reduce the risk of muscle injury to some older ones who have a history of muscle injuries (Boly, Serge) or who are simply blowing out of their arse (Sangare)?
Especially when the injury list includes Taiwo, CHO, Dorigi, Danillo, Felipe, Montiel, Tavares and until recently Aina and Niakhate?
Doubly especially so when, arguably, 7 of those 9 would be starters if fit?

He made the call. But for two utter f**k ups that you couldn't foresee, it would have been the right call 99 times out of a 100.
Hindsight is a wonderful thing......
Reply
I do wonder if the criticism would have been the same if the initial triple sub was Niakhate, Santos and Aina.
Reply
(24-10-2023, 03:25 PM)Salvatore Matrecano Wrote: I do wonder if the criticism would have been the same if the initial triple sub was Niakhate, Santos and Aina.

Not sure I'd of been impressed if Santos came on and it cost us.
Reply
(24-10-2023, 02:56 PM)DR Forest Wrote: If you've dominated for 70 minutes against a shite team and are 2-0 up, why wouldn't it be reasonable to assume that the professional footballers coming on for the last 20 minutes or so would be able to see out the game? Especially when one bleeds garibaldi and another was many people's 'first name on the team sheet' until they spunked £30m on a player yet to show he's much better on a consistent basis?

If you've dominated for 70 minutes against a shite team and are 2-0 up, why wouldn't it be reasonable for a manager to think its an opportunity to rotate a few players to reduce the risk of muscle injury to some older ones who have a history of muscle injuries (Boly, Serge) or who are simply blowing out of their arse (Sangare)?
Especially when the injury list includes Taiwo, CHO, Dorigi, Danillo, Felipe, Montiel, Tavares and until recently Aina and Niakhate?
Doubly especially so when, arguably, 7 of those 9 would be starters if fit?

He made the call. But for two utter f**k ups that you couldn't foresee, it would have been the right call 99 times out of a 100.
Hindsight is a wonderful thing......

Agreed
Reply
(24-10-2023, 03:28 PM)wassy04 Wrote:
(24-10-2023, 03:25 PM)Salvatore Matrecano Wrote: I do wonder if the criticism would have been the same if the initial triple sub was Niakhate, Santos and Aina.

Not sure I'd of been impressed if Santos came on and it cost us.

I wouldn’t have been impressed either but he isnt an official scapegoat and he can’t be labelled as one of “Cooper’s mates”.
Reply


Forum Jump: