Posts: 19,594
Threads: 617
Joined: May 2018
Reputation:
209
Location: Athens
(06-10-2022, 03:42 PM)PsychoStooge Wrote: (06-10-2022, 02:12 PM)wassy04 Wrote: (06-10-2022, 02:05 PM)JWJW Wrote: First question might be........"Well Steve, we have all these new Centre Backs with pace and skill, and you are picking Cook, McKenna and Worrall and shipping goals left right and centre........why is this ? "
Well Filippo, one of them is injured, one of them played once and had a shocker, one of them is completely unproven at this level and hasn't played much at all at the top level.
Plus if you're looking for skill, the best passer is Joe Worrall but I got chastised for picking him, so I took him out.
P.S I didn't want to sign half of them, cheers.
Out of interest which half?
Panic on the streets of Croydon, Derby, Sheffield, Leicestershire.
Posts: 781
Threads: 1
Joined: Jun 2018
Reputation:
8
(06-10-2022, 03:53 PM)Sniffer Dog (Admin) Wrote: (06-10-2022, 03:42 PM)PsychoStooge Wrote: (06-10-2022, 02:12 PM)wassy04 Wrote: (06-10-2022, 02:05 PM)JWJW Wrote: First question might be........"Well Steve, we have all these new Centre Backs with pace and skill, and you are picking Cook, McKenna and Worrall and shipping goals left right and centre........why is this ? "
Well Filippo, one of them is injured, one of them played once and had a shocker, one of them is completely unproven at this level and hasn't played much at all at the top level.
Plus if you're looking for skill, the best passer is Joe Worrall but I got chastised for picking him, so I took him out.
P.S I didn't want to sign half of them, cheers.
Out of interest which half?
Didn't want Boly or Aurier (I know he's a RB) and with Bade I think the words I got were "he didn't know anything about him", which is quite different from the earlier transfers when he was reportedly checking all of the new signings characters personally.
Posts: 12,335
Threads: 16
Joined: Jun 2018
Reputation:
119
(06-10-2022, 02:12 PM)wassy04 Wrote: (06-10-2022, 02:05 PM)JWJW Wrote: First question might be........"Well Steve, we have all these new Centre Backs with pace and skill, and you are picking Cook, McKenna and Worrall and shipping goals left right and centre........why is this ? "
Well Filippo, one of them is injured, one of them played once and had a shocker, one of them is completely unproven at this level and hasn't played much at all at the top level.
Plus if you're looking for skill, the best passer is Joe Worrall but I got chastised for picking him, so I took him out.
Stop talking sense Wassy, you know nobody likes to hear that.
Posts: 19,594
Threads: 617
Joined: May 2018
Reputation:
209
Location: Athens
(06-10-2022, 06:01 PM)PsychoStooge Wrote: (06-10-2022, 03:53 PM)Sniffer Dog (Admin) Wrote: (06-10-2022, 03:42 PM)PsychoStooge Wrote: (06-10-2022, 02:12 PM)wassy04 Wrote: (06-10-2022, 02:05 PM)JWJW Wrote: First question might be........"Well Steve, we have all these new Centre Backs with pace and skill, and you are picking Cook, McKenna and Worrall and shipping goals left right and centre........why is this ? "
Well Filippo, one of them is injured, one of them played once and had a shocker, one of them is completely unproven at this level and hasn't played much at all at the top level.
Plus if you're looking for skill, the best passer is Joe Worrall but I got chastised for picking him, so I took him out.
P.S I didn't want to sign half of them, cheers.
Out of interest which half?
Didn't want Boly or Aurier (I know he's a RB) and with Bade I think the words I got were "he didn't know anything about him", which is quite different from the earlier transfers when he was reportedly checking all of the new signings characters personally.
That is not half of our centre backs it's only two.
If Cooper didn't want Boly how come he put him straight into the team just a few days after he signed?
Cooper was openly demanding more player's right up until the end of the window. Listen to his interviews from back then.
We have a set up where we have a head of recruitment and a head coach. If the head of recruitment wants to sign a player then it is the job of the head coach to coach that player.
Panic on the streets of Croydon, Derby, Sheffield, Leicestershire.
Posts: 781
Threads: 1
Joined: Jun 2018
Reputation:
8
(06-10-2022, 07:37 PM)Sniffer Dog (Admin) Wrote: (06-10-2022, 06:01 PM)PsychoStooge Wrote: (06-10-2022, 03:53 PM)Sniffer Dog (Admin) Wrote: (06-10-2022, 03:42 PM)PsychoStooge Wrote: (06-10-2022, 02:12 PM)wassy04 Wrote: Well Filippo, one of them is injured, one of them played once and had a shocker, one of them is completely unproven at this level and hasn't played much at all at the top level.
Plus if you're looking for skill, the best passer is Joe Worrall but I got chastised for picking him, so I took him out.
P.S I didn't want to sign half of them, cheers.
Out of interest which half?
Didn't want Boly or Aurier (I know he's a RB) and with Bade I think the words I got were "he didn't know anything about him", which is quite different from the earlier transfers when he was reportedly checking all of the new signings characters personally.
That is not half of our centre backs it's only two.
If Cooper didn't want Boly how come he put him straight into the team just a few days after he signed?
Cooper was openly demanding more player's right up until the end of the window. Listen to his interviews from back then.
We have a set up where we have a head of recruitment and a head coach. If the head of recruitment wants to sign a player then it is the job of the head coach to coach that player.
Didn't want to "sign" half of them I said, we signed 4 (Niakhate, Biancone, Boly and Bade) and I've named 2, that's half.
We can argue about the other stuff until the cows come home, I can only tell you what I've heard and that's specifically that he didn't want Boly or Aurier and had no idea about Bade. He also didn't want Dennis.
Posts: 12,335
Threads: 16
Joined: Jun 2018
Reputation:
119
Psychostooge Im pretty vocal when it comes to criticising recruitment down the years, its always our achilles heal and we have wasted millions on players who have contributed little or nothing.
However the bit of this I am with Sniffer on is that Cooper is head coach not manager. That is the model the vast majority of us think makes sense for continuity. Therefore Cooper is paid to coach players bought into the club by the recruitment team whoever they are. What he shouldn't do is refuse to play some because he didnt choose them himself. If he watches them in training and they aren’t performing thats a different matter on which we can only speculate.
The issue if we want to split hairs is were some of those you listed recommended by the recruitment team of Syrianos, the analytics guys etc. Or did some of them arrive after some conversations between the owners and their favourite agents. Whichever it was to be honest up until now every single one of them has been disappointing so the argument is somewhat redundant.
Posts: 781
Threads: 1
Joined: Jun 2018
Reputation:
8
06-10-2022, 08:33 PM
(This post was last modified: 06-10-2022, 08:34 PM by PsychoStooge.)
(06-10-2022, 08:21 PM)Salvatore Matrecano Wrote: Psychostooge Im pretty vocal when it comes to criticising recruitment down the years, its always our achilles heal and we have wasted millions on players who have contributed little or nothing.
However the bit of this I am with Sniffer on is that Cooper is head coach not manager. That is the model the vast majority of us think makes sense for continuity. Therefore Cooper is paid to coach players bought into the club by the recruitment team whoever they are. What he shouldn't do is refuse to play some because he didnt choose them himself. If he watches them in training and they aren’t performing thats a different matter on which we can only speculate.
The issue if we want to split hairs is were some of those you listed recommended by the recruitment team of Syrianos, the analytics guys etc. Or did some of them arrive after some conversations between the owners and their favourite agents. Whichever it was to be honest up until now every single one of them has been disappointing so the argument is somewhat redundant.
There was also plenty of talk over the summer about how Cooper was doing due diligence on all the signings and getting final say, with those players he didn't.
For what it's worth I think Dennis is a great player and a good signing for us but according to what I've been told, specifically on the Dennis one, neither Cooper nor the analytics guys wanted to sign him.
Posts: 11,130
Threads: 56
Joined: Jun 2018
Reputation:
62
(06-10-2022, 08:33 PM)PsychoStooge Wrote: (06-10-2022, 08:21 PM)Salvatore Matrecano Wrote: Psychostooge Im pretty vocal when it comes to criticising recruitment down the years, its always our achilles heal and we have wasted millions on players who have contributed little or nothing.
However the bit of this I am with Sniffer on is that Cooper is head coach not manager. That is the model the vast majority of us think makes sense for continuity. Therefore Cooper is paid to coach players bought into the club by the recruitment team whoever they are. What he shouldn't do is refuse to play some because he didnt choose them himself. If he watches them in training and they aren’t performing thats a different matter on which we can only speculate.
The issue if we want to split hairs is were some of those you listed recommended by the recruitment team of Syrianos, the analytics guys etc. Or did some of them arrive after some conversations between the owners and their favourite agents. Whichever it was to be honest up until now every single one of them has been disappointing so the argument is somewhat redundant.
There was also plenty of talk over the summer about how Cooper was doing due diligence on all the signings and getting final say, with those players he didn't.
For what it's worth I think Dennis is a great player and a good signing for us but according to what I've been told, specifically on the Dennis one, neither Cooper nor the analytics guys wanted to sign him.
Who did then out of interest?
The sporting director/head coach model is good but it works best when the coach is still at least directing the profile of the type of player they want even if not picking them.
I would give the Head Coach a veto on signings too. No point signing someone they aren't going to want to play. There are enough players out there in my opinion that you can find someone the Head coach is happy with.
I actually respect that Cooper was being loyal to the board by backing their signings in public despite it seems like being less keen on a number of them and probably the quantity too (at a guess)
Posts: 1,649
Threads: 1
Joined: May 2018
Reputation:
44
(06-10-2022, 02:12 PM)wassy04 Wrote: (06-10-2022, 02:05 PM)JWJW Wrote: First question might be........"Well Steve, we have all these new Centre Backs with pace and skill, and you are picking Cook, McKenna and Worrall and shipping goals left right and centre........why is this ? "
Well Filippo, one of them is injured, one of them played once and had a shocker, one of them is completely unproven at this level and hasn't played much at all at the top level.
Plus if you're looking for skill, the best passer is Joe Worrall but I got chastised for picking him, so I took him out.
Well Mr Steve....... the three you are playing are all proven crap at this level so far, we are shipping goals all over the place.....they lose the ball all the time........
The definition of madness is to keep doing the same thing all the time and expecting something different to happen, so Mr Steve......changes for the Villa game or you going to do it all over again ?
Posts: 19,594
Threads: 617
Joined: May 2018
Reputation:
209
Location: Athens
Nothing is perfect at any football club.
All clubs have player's that don't play for whatever reason. We would do well to remember that.
What is clear is that we are not performing, results are poor, performances are poor, Cooper is under pressure and some are looking for someone to blame.
They don't want to blame Cooper because he just happened to be the coach when we finally got promoted after 23 years, they don't want to blame Dane because the sun shines out of his arse so lets blame Milto and the owners instead.
How about Cooper signing a contract, knuckling down and getting the best out of the squad that we have. Even if he didn't want a couple of the 25 man squad so what, that still leaves another 23. It's not the end of the world, Steve is a coach, he's not the owner, he's not head of recruitment plus he got all his first choice player's who he wanted anyway but everyone conveniently forgets that fact.
Panic on the streets of Croydon, Derby, Sheffield, Leicestershire.
Posts: 12,335
Threads: 16
Joined: Jun 2018
Reputation:
119
(07-10-2022, 07:48 AM)Sniffer Dog (Admin) Wrote: Nothing is perfect at any football club.
All clubs have player's that don't play for whatever reason. We would do well to remember that.
What is clear is that we are not performing, results are poor, performances are poor, Cooper is under pressure and some are looking for someone to blame.
They don't want to blame Cooper because he just happened to be the coach when we finally got promoted after 23 years, they don't want to blame Dane because the sun shines out of his arse so lets blame Milto and the owners instead.
How about Cooper signing a contract, knuckling down and getting the best out of the squad that we have. Even if he didn't want a couple of the 25 man squad so what, that still leaves another 23. It's not the end of the world, Steve is a coach, he's not the owner, he's not head of recruitment plus he got all his first choice player's who he wanted anyway but everyone conveniently forgets that fact.
A tad touchy Sniiff
Nobody has said the sun shines out of Danes arse
Nobody has denied Cooper didn’t get the signings he wanted even if he got some extra too.
And the comment in bold is ridiculous. Cooper didnt just happen to be the head coach when we were promoted. He stopped the Marinakis being the proud owner of a debt ridden League 1 club and delivered his dream.
Posts: 19,594
Threads: 617
Joined: May 2018
Reputation:
209
Location: Athens
It's a fact SM, Cooper was the coach, how is that ridiculous? It would be ridiculous if I said that Cooper wasn't the coach. I think you are reading too much into my comment and as per usual you end your post with another completely unnecessary dig at our owners and you say that I am touchy!
Panic on the streets of Croydon, Derby, Sheffield, Leicestershire.
|