Jonjo Shelvey - Thanks for the Memories
#38
(07-01-2024, 08:22 PM)wassy04 Wrote:
(07-01-2024, 05:41 PM)Paplane Wrote:
(07-01-2024, 05:03 PM)wassy04 Wrote:
(07-01-2024, 04:08 PM)Paplane Wrote:
(07-01-2024, 03:04 PM)Sniffer Dog (Admin) Wrote: Wassy you just want to blame recruitment for everything when there is clearly a much bigger picture to be painted.

I am the first to admit that recruitment was/is not perfect like at every club but why can't you admit that Cooper made some very odd decisions?

A lot of denial going on Sniff. Not just Wassy (I admire his unflinching defence of the side), but others (not just some who post on here) are so mesmerised by Cooper's reign that they just cant see what was happening in front of their eyes. I liked Cooper a lot but I can see that for half of last season and all of this season, results and decisions made were disasterous.

I happy to criticise Cooper, I've been consistent that I thought we never should've abandoned wingbacks (in the fact that's the only odd decision) and that MGW should've been playing centrally.

Results weren't disastrous though, we were probably the 19th best team in the league and finished higher than that so actually I'd say results were better than expected. This year we're probably about 15th best and that's about where we are.

The main thing I find irritating is ignoring the fact that all the other teams were also spending money and/or had been in the prem for years. 

Honestly, where do you think we should've finished last year/this year? And if you think it's higher than me, which teams are we finishing above and what makes us better than them? I think these are reasonable questions if you're gonna be critical.

I admired Cooper chamging tack last season at the beginning when we were getting thumped 4 and 5 every week. He did exactly what was required, he shut up shop and stopped the rot. But after that peruod we began to played with a defree of fluidity and the results came. Then injuries struck and we were back at square one. Nothing Cooper could have done about that. Id say that decent form, before the world cup was about the level the side was capable of. On the whole, staying in the divison was an excellent result. But this season, the club obviously set up to move on from that and it hasnt happened. We've added quality and yet we were playing at the same levels as last season with the same, hanging on tactics and relying on big Taiwo to do everything up front. The away form was consistently poor too. 

This season i reckon our true level should be about 12th or 13th. Anything below that is below par imo.

Obviously Sheff Utd, Luton, Burnley, Everton (with the points deduction). Who are the other teams we should according to you finish above?

Fulham have lost Mitrovic, Palace look like they're regressing, Bournemouth signed a few decent players and have pushed on. Brentford have lost Toney. Wolves have appointed a decent coach and pushed on. Again, decent coach at Everton and they've pushed on. Why shouldn't we have pushed on too?
Reply


Messages In This Thread
RE: Jonjo Shelvey - Thanks for the Memories - by Paplane - 07-01-2024, 08:37 PM

Forum Jump: