Favourite Tunes
Tree 
We all have one or two songs that for some reason seem to stick with us throughout our time.

What are your favourite tunes and what are your views on others choices?

A couple of my all time favourites to start with are:

Eagle by Abba and Sound of Silence by Disturbed.

I just love the haunting instrumentals to Eagle, along with the passion put into the lyrics by Agnetha and Annifrid. Its not one of their most popular songs by any stretch, which is possibly why i like this one so much. It didn't get overplayed and is, IMO highly under rated.

Sound of Silence by Disturbed is like Marmite, you either love it or hate it. I love it! The building passion from lead singer David Draiman builds and builds until it reaches its crescendo before gently falling away again. The song was fully endorsed by Simon and Garfunkel for Disturbed to record it and is now, by far, Disturbed's most popular song.
Rob - A Proud Supporter of Nottingham Forest F. C. since 1973 - Red Til' Dead
Can’t say I’m an Abba fan Tricky.
And - I’m sorry to say - I don’t know Disturbed.

I guess my favourites would change day by day but I’ll go with three of my favourites:

Wade In The Water - Ramsey Lewis
Under The Boardwalk - Drifters
You Better Move On - Arthur Alexander

As I said - I’d probably go with totally different selections tomorrow.

PS I’ll check out ‘Sound Of Silence’ on Spotify.
PPS of course I’ve heard it - it’s a yes from me!
COYR!
(04-10-2020, 10:03 PM)ThePromisedLand Wrote: Can’t say I’m an Abba fan Tricky.
And - I’m sorry to say - I don’t know Disturbed.

I guess my favourites would change day by day but I’ll go with three of my favourites:

Wade In The Water - Ramsey Lewis
Under The Boardwalk - Drifters
You Better Move On - Arthur Alexander

As I said - I’d probably go with totally different selections tomorrow.

PS I’ll check out ‘Sound Of Silence’ on Spotify.
PPS of course I’ve heard it - it’s a yes from me!

I'm like you TPL, my choices change regularly too, but there is just something about Eagle that stirs something in my sub-conscious. I don't know if it was to do with a relationship I was in (or coming out of) at that time or what!

I'm not an Abba fan per se, but don't mind if one of their songs is playing.

Wade in the Water - classic Northern Soul track!
Had a listen to You Better Move on - can honestly say thats the first time I've heard that track before and Under the Boardwalk is a timeless classic. Good choices mate
I love me some Northern Soul and will regularly go to either 25 Miles by Edwin Starr or 7 Day Is Too Long by Chuck Wood.

If not those then Catch The Sun by Doves or I Am The Resurrection by The Stone Roses.

More recently I absolutely love Sarajevo by The K’s.
It changes depending on my mood but I would have to include these:

Your Star Will Shine - The Stone Roses.

Ocean Spray - The Manic Street Preaches.

The Scientist - Coldplay.
I don't make promises, I deliver - Evangelos Marinakis.
You see I have this thing about Northern Soul.
I actually predate that phenomenon having been a Saturday night all nighter regular at clubs like the Twisted Wheel in Manchester around 1969/70 ( Sundays = Broken Wheel @ Retford )
Northern Soul to me therefore appears to be an imitation of what we’d been enjoying for some time.
I know that will not go down well with some but hey ho.
COYR!
(04-11-2020, 09:02 AM)ThePromisedLand Wrote: You see I have this thing about Northern Soul.
I actually predate that phenomenon having been a Saturday night all nighter regular at clubs like the Twisted Wheel in Manchester around 1969/70 ( Sundays = Broken Wheel @ Retford )
Northern Soul to me therefore appears to be an imitation of what we’d been enjoying for some time.
I know that will not go down well with some but hey ho.

I was way too young to appreciate Soul/Northern Soul/Motown during the 60's. I would've been 8 or 9 at the time.

When Northern Soul became popular, I would've been maybe 13 or 14 and loved to listen to it at the school disco's but would never have been allowed to go to Wigan or any all nighters at that time. Plus by then, my attention had been drawn to Forest, so I would spend what money I had got on going to Forest matches.

I guess it wasn't until the Mods revival in the 80's did I pay more attention to Soul/Motown and then Northern Soul and learn to fully appreciate the music. The same can be said for 60's music in general, although with older brothers and sisters, I did listen to a lot of the 60's sounds. In some ways, I can sympathise with younger Forest fans who wish they could've been there during the Miracle Years, I wish that I could've been there during the Northern Soul era.

My first real love for music came in the guise of Punk Rock. I loved the anarchic rawness of the music and this appealed to the rebellious nature I was displaying during those times. Punk seemed to blend in to the violent and aggressive 70's, where football violence was pandemic in this country and there were strikes, power cuts and 3 day weeks to contend with also.

The Mods revival kind of let me 'grow up' and I (much to my Dads relief) wanted to look good in a two tone suit or trousers, Levi's as well as hush puppies, tasselled loafers, Fred Perry's and Harrington Jackets or my well weathered Parka. The music was totally different to Punk, but it had a calming effect on me. 

I still love to listen to a lot of the old punk rock as it does bring back some wonderful (and not so wonderful) memories, but i do not 'feel' the music anymore, not like Northern Soul or Motown, where i still 'feel it', if that makes sense.
I must add this, what an absolute timeless masterpiece.

Pink Floyd - Shine On You Crazy Diamond.
Comfortably Numb followed by Comfortably Numb, by Pink Floyd, hairs on the back of your neck standing up everytime.
It builds and builds to a fantastic guitar crescendo by Mr Gilmour
I could never get into Pink Floyd, sadly.
(04-11-2020, 12:32 PM)Tricky Wrote: I could never get into Pink Floyd, sadly.

I couldn't when I was younger Tricky. It's only really been the last few years and I don't like all their stuff just the odd one or two.
Most music between 1960 and 1990 not a lot after that
A couple of my favourite tunes are Follow Me Follow You by Genesis and Up The Junction by Squeeze. Never get tired of listening to them.
(04-12-2020, 10:51 AM)Jasper Scarrott Wrote: A couple of my favourite tunes are Follow Me Follow You by Genesis and Up The Junction by Squeeze. Never get tired of listening to them.

Good choices there mate
^ Yeah. Both have great lyrics.