Transfers In/Out Summer 2019
(01-02-2020, 10:17 AM)Paplane Wrote:
(01-02-2020, 10:14 AM)kez007 Wrote:
(01-02-2020, 10:05 AM)Paplane Wrote:
(01-02-2020, 10:04 AM)kez007 Wrote: It's down to the manager now imho, he's set us up brilliantly away from home and against the better teams at home. He now needs to find a way of beating the lesser teams who come to defend. There's going to be more of them from now on. I think he's got to utilise Carvalho somehow against those teams, possibly sacrifice Watson in certain games.
Take watson out the team and its keystone cops time.

Imo  :)

OK, take Watson's position from the team then. Against teams like that, you've got to win the ball back as quickly and as high up the pitch as possible. By the time Worrall / Watson etc win it back for us, it's in our own half. The opposition get set into their defensive shape and we're not currently good enough to break that down.

Points noted but the guy is hugely influential for us. Taking him out is a start again from scratch job. Not something to be tinkering with now.

I agree on him being hugely influential for us, he virtually beat Brentford on his own. Had them on a piece of string all game. I'm only suggesting when the shite teams come to the city ground.
(30-01-2020, 11:40 PM)ozzyten10 Wrote: Hasn’t come across as rapid to me gari - no slouch but not a speed merchant. Maybe deceptive. He seems to have baulked up a bit too. Pace is not everything for a number 9 anyway...
would like nothing more than to see him saluting the Trent end again...

Article from NEP. Backs up the pace argument.
(01-02-2020, 10:22 AM)kez007 Wrote:
(01-02-2020, 10:17 AM)Paplane Wrote:
(01-02-2020, 10:14 AM)kez007 Wrote:
(01-02-2020, 10:05 AM)Paplane Wrote:
(01-02-2020, 10:04 AM)kez007 Wrote: It's down to the manager now imho, he's set us up brilliantly away from home and against the better teams at home. He now needs to find a way of beating the lesser teams who come to defend. There's going to be more of them from now on. I think he's got to utilise Carvalho somehow against those teams, possibly sacrifice Watson in certain games.
Take watson out the team and its keystone cops time.

Imo  :)

OK, take Watson's position from the team then. Against teams like that, you've got to win the ball back as quickly and as high up the pitch as possible. By the time Worrall / Watson etc win it back for us, it's in our own half. The opposition get set into their defensive shape and we're not currently good enough to break that down.

Points noted but the guy is hugely influential for us. Taking him out is a start again from scratch job. Not something to be tinkering with now.

I agree on him being hugely influential for us, he virtually beat Brentford on his own. Had them on a piece of string all game. I'm only suggesting when the shite teams come to the city ground.

Sorry, we were at cross purposes. I thought you were advocating dumping him completely. I agree to an extent, a less cautious approach at home against those types of sides might be better. But he's the beating  heart of the team and id be wary of upsetting the apple cart. We have options now up front to be more offensive. That may help.
I keep seeing people say Leeds and WBA have had better windows than us and strengthened more than we have, that is probably true of WBA but two points: one, they have parachute money so it's always gonna be hard to compete with them financially (we offered better terms to Grosicki but they probably would've just upped their offer had he started to waver) and two, they were/are in panic mode towards the end of January; they only have 3 points from their last 6 games compared to our 14 points, no wonder they spent some money.

Moving onto Leeds' window. They signed a winger from the Man City reserves who has never played a second of senior football in his career and a striker who has 0 goals this season in France. Would anyone swap our window for theirs? I wouldn't.

One more creative type would've been the icing on the cake and it does sound like the club tried with Grosicki and Freeman, just wasn't to be but you listen to how Sabri talks about Joao, he believes in him and I think he's shown a lot of faith by repeatedly saying "no I don't want him to go to Olympiacos, I want him here" hopefully that will galvanise Carvalho and he can be the creative spark for the rest of the season.
We’ve not been weakened and I guess that is key...consistency, team spirit and the right blend of players takes you a long way in the championship.

I never thought Sheff United were a great team last season but they had all of the above and the right manager, hopefully we can show similar.

Walker deserves his chance and if he gets an early goal or two could be pivotal as could Carvalho if he rediscovers his mojo.

If we can keep Sow, Watson, Brice and Grabban fit we have a chance...big, big if I know!!!

As pointed above and having slept on it we have come a massive distance in a short space of time and long may the journey continue.
One thing I’d have liked would have been a big lump just to stick up front and play off should we have needed it... someone for the last 10 mins of games. Other than that we’ve done well with getting some pace in!
(01-02-2020, 11:00 AM)Superreddamo Wrote: One thing I’d have liked would have been a big lump just to stick up front and play off should we have needed it... someone for the last 10 mins of games. Other than that we’ve done well with getting some pace in!
Someone like the lump that Jutkiewicz who's bound to score later! 

I agree.
(01-02-2020, 10:29 AM)PsychoStooge Wrote: I keep seeing people say Leeds and WBA have had better windows than us and strengthened more than we have, that is probably true of WBA but two points: one, they have parachute money so it's always gonna be hard to compete with them financially (we offered better terms to Grosicki but they probably would've just upped their offer had he started to waver) and two, they were/are in panic mode towards the end of January; they only have 3 points from their last 6 games compared to our 14 points, no wonder they spent some money.

Moving onto Leeds' window. They signed a winger from the Man City reserves who has never played a second of senior football in his career and a striker who has 0 goals this season in France. Would anyone swap our window for theirs? I wouldn't.

One more creative type would've been the icing on the cake and it does sound like the club tried with Grosicki and Freeman, just wasn't to be but you listen to how Sabri talks about Joao, he believes in him and I think he's shown a lot of faith by repeatedly saying "no I don't want him to go to Olympiacos, I want him here" hopefully that will galvanise Carvalho and he can be the creative spark for the rest of the season.

I think we've had a better window than Leeds, but WBA landing Robinson & Grosicki is a real statement of intent.

Best signing of the window for me was bringing Walker back. Not only is he an upgrade on Mir, but he scores a decent amount from outside the box too. Something which Grabban doesn't, and is ideal for seeing out the last 10-20 in games.
For me happy with the increased depth up front & LB position sorted. Personally think it was worth investing in a winger, ameobi has his good games but also has some pretty off days. Maybe diakhaby will turn out to be good.

Similarly Silva whilst being very good at pressing is still a weak link in the attacking game. Freeman/Grosicki would've really been perfect. At least we tried on those I guess.

No-one left though and filled in the gaps in the squad so cant complain too much I suppose.
Marcus McGuane confirmed as joining us by the official Telstar twitter account
If we'd have added Freeman I'd have been happy. As it is I'm waiting to see Nuno & Adama play before judging.
It is really important that we give the new signings time to settle before being too critical. I am sure most true supporters would agree to that !!
McGuane could be a really good signing, all this rubbish about him signing for our under 23 is way off the mark. Hes played every game for Telstar in the Dutch league getting in the team of the week and he's left Barca who he joined from Arsenal where he was in the same team as willock etc . This boy obviously has something.
(01-02-2020, 12:34 PM)Redreg Wrote: McGuane could be a really good signing, all this rubbish about him signing for our under 23 is way off the mark. Hes played every game for Telstar in the Dutch league getting in the team of the week and he's left Barca who he joined from Arsenal where he was  in the same team as willock etc . This boy obviously has something.

So did Roger Riera  :D
Interesting we kept mighten and Brennan - they are talents that need a sniff of the first team. Diakhaby and Nuno are the ones that we need to be a real find for the sambas moulds for us to push on. Decent amount of wages saved and looks pretty sensible planning for a sustainable go at the top for next year too