2020 Olympics
We have now won 39 medals.

13 gold, 13 silver and 13 bronze.

A superb effort.
Πιστέψτε το, θα τα καταφέρω.
Two more golds for Team GB - one each in sailing and show-jumping. Also a bronze for 13 year old Sky Brown in the skateboarding!
Doing absolutely fantastically this Olympics, especially when you consider the impacts of Covid disrupting everyone involved's prep.

Not many things get me emotional, but Brits in the Olympics definitely do. Particularly in the sports where the Olympics is truly the pinnacle of their sport. I'm not into a small number of sports in the games, but that's a different debate.

You could argue a lot have also been very unlucky in some ways, we've had a lot of 4th placed finishes and a few people pipped to Gold and ended up with Silver. But I suspect lots of Nations would argue similar.

In the last couple of decades we've been getting it bang on to be fair to all involved in Team GB. I know some don't like the manner in which funding.. etc is decided and sometimes selections leave former Champions... etc out. But the results speak for themselves and show the process is absolutely working for us.
A shame athletics has declined though. With KJT getting injured I’m not sure where any other medals will come from. Laura Muir possibly and an outside chance for Holly Bleasedale but that’s about it. Though I have to say Keely Hodgkinson’s run for the silver in the 800m was incredible. British record time at just 19 years old.
Athletics in general is a tough one. I'd say it's one of the most 'naturally gifted' arenas. I think a lot of the other sports, whilst requiring total commitment and a level of athleticism that ordinary folk don't possess, are far more adaptable and people can move into.

To be a sprinter, long distance runner, jumper... etc I think you are born with a god given talent, that you then have to nurture. Coaching, education and accessibility play a part. I suspect if football wasn't the biggest sport in GB, we'd have a lot more athletes across the board.

But if you look at the Winter Olympics, we have moved into identifying people with adaptable skills and moved them towards that arena, with positive effect.

It's a simple thought, but with 100/200/400m. You either have the athletic dna or you don't. Feels like there is a slight lul after we had a good number of supreme athletes, probably a bit of a 'golden era' in GB terms.

Still plenty who make finals though, and a number who have been unfortunate along the way. Prescod and Hughes both have it in them to have come away with a 100m medal for instance. KJT, like you say and Asher-Smith, both would have brough a medal home (maybe even two for Dina). I don't think we need to be concerned too much about athletics.
The spread of sports seems to have changed a bit too. The dominance in rowing and cycling has come to an end but swimming and sailing have had fantastic Olympics.
(04-08-2021, 09:01 PM)Sausage Roll Wrote: The spread of sports seems to have changed a bit too. The dominance in rowing and cycling has come to an end but swimming and sailing have had fantastic Olympics.

I think that's the benefit of the process for funding.  They identify where promise is shown in a sport and then back it with the funds.
Another gold for Team GB - Matthew Walls in the men's omnium cycling.

Great performances from the sprint relay teams to both qualify for their finals too, with the women breaking the British record in the process.
Gold in the ladies Madison cycling. That's Laura Kenny's fifth in total across three Olympics!
And another! This time for Kate French in the women's modern pentathlon.
Brilliant silver for Laura Muir in the 1500m. Second to an Olympic record and smashed her own PB - can't ask for much more than that.
Thanks for the updates SR!
4th in the final medal table with 65 total, 22 of which were gold. Also bigger spread medals across sports than any other country.

Very impressive performance.
(08-08-2021, 10:49 AM)Sausage Roll Wrote: 4th in the final medal table with 65 total, 22 of which were gold. Also bigger spread medals across sports than any other country.

Think my favourite moment was the girl who won the bmx racing and the girl who won the bmx freesyling. The racing girl collapsing after the relace in exhaustion having given everything and the freestyler who fell in the round before, dusted herself down and pull out an absolute worldie in the final round. Both were utterly inspirational moments from unassuming youngsters.
(08-08-2021, 10:49 AM)Sausage Roll Wrote: 4th in the final medal table with 65 total, 22 of which were gold. Also bigger spread medals across sports than any other country.

Great stuff well done boys and girls you made us proud.