The Three Lions
So some of the players have received racist abuse and a murial on a wall of Rashford has been vandalised. Some ticketless 'fans' gained entry by storming Wembley.

We really do have some utter scum in our society. Today the media should be showering those players with praise, thanks to some d**k heads they're now talking about hate and criminality.
Can we remember the tournament for the FOOTBALL please.
Πιστέψτε το, θα τα καταφέρω.
the player who comes away with most credit is Pickford, and i can't describe how much i detested this guy being in goal and generally, but this fella completely delivered at the business end, just for those few moments, which must be the most stressful for a keeper, he held it together, i feel more for this guy than anyone else, well done fella, i'm your no1 fan, though you won't understand, neither do i really, how far my disdain for this guy went and goes, but from now on, he has to be involved next time if only for the penalty shoot outs

Rashford's penalty preparation was absolutely impeccable, he did everything right, sent the keeper the wrong, but his approach, positioning and setting himself seemed extremely and impeccably prepared, just a slight tinge of nerves or whatever, but he achieved what he set out to do, send the keeper the wrong way, maybe the only taker to do it, it looks so so so bad when in effect you miss an open goal but by penalty misses it was a class above all the other misses to back since time began ... except for Psycho's of course ... at least Psycho always looked to inflict damage, who or wherever it hit
Beyond one ropey throw out in one of the matches Pickford had a brilliant tournament.
(12-07-2021, 02:37 PM)Sausage Roll Wrote: Beyond one ropey throw out in one of the matches Pickford had a brilliant tournament.

i think he slept well, he did everything right, even when they were taking there penalty to win, everyone knew it was over except for Pickford, he saved it and squared it all back up again, generally the penalty shoot outs descend into almost farcical collective crashes in confidence, last nights wasn't too disimilar to the ways others have gone, but when everyone was losing there heads and there minds, Pickford was more in the zone than anyone in the history of penalty shoot outs, deserves the footy equivalent of the VC
Just reading an Article on the Athletic about the crowd trouble at Wembley before the final which looks worse than I had realised. It does sound a bit of a perfect storm of all day drinking, ticketless fans and inadequate stewarding.

Wassy seeing as you were there do you have any opinion?
My Euro 2021 reflections: My Italian wife was quite happy, me not so much. England lads did superbly, Southgate got almost everything right, up until Final. Italy were best team in tournament and deserve trophy, Chiellini is an absolute warrior who I'd have in my team all day long, his "tactical" foul was a throwback to days of Gentile, Baresi and Co.

Not sure what ex Sheep Mount (albeit on loan) brought to the team throughout tournament, pretty sure others could have played his role much more effectively.

Minority of fans who kicked off were probably  Scousers trying to do what they always do! Online racist pr1cks should be named and shamed.

Re penalty misses: Every Sunday league player and above can score from spot in normal circumstances, but I thought Rio Ferdinands description about being the 8th penalty taker for England summed up why it is so far from normal as it can possibly be, to paraphrase "in extra time I was praying one of our lads would score, then at the final whistle I was like "oh no" and when the penalties started I couldn't even feel my legs, I was thinking I won't be able to walk up let alone take a pen". Pressure and anxiety can do that and much worse. Rio was a top player, so not exactly a shrinking violet. All the 5 takers had a "process" and a successful technique they were hoping would work. It didn't, its the way it goes.

A horrible way to lose it, but can't really argue with the trophy going to Italy on the night-as well as throughout the tournament.

The REAL business of The Championship is less than a month away....I can't wait.
Apparently, more than 100,000 people have signed an online petition demanding the final be replayed after the fouls on Grelish and Saka were only punished with yellow cards. WTF! We lost, get over it
(Said in a phoney gruff American accent) Coming soon, to a Predictions League near you.....................GOALDEN GOAL!!! See thread for details!
(14-07-2021, 06:43 AM)Tricky Wrote: Apparently, more than 100,000 people have signed an online petition demanding the final be replayed after the fouls on Grelish and Saka were only punished with yellow cards. WTF! We lost, get over it

I thought the refereeing was excellent throughout the tournament. And with VAR reigned in the football flowed. The VAR calls were done quietly in the background and were not the star of the show like they are in the premier league.
(13-07-2021, 04:23 PM)Salvatore Matrecano Wrote: Just reading an Article on the Athletic about the crowd trouble at Wembley before the final which looks worse than I had realised. It does sound a bit of a perfect storm of all day drinking, ticketless fans and inadequate stewarding.

I've left a scathing comment about it in the comments section on that article haha!

It's really soured the day for me, the semi final was one of the best nights I've ever had, the final was less fun and not just because of the shootout (although I suspect I'd be less angry if we'd won) My personal experience wasn't that bad, I drove from my parents house which is about an hour away as no late trains back there. Parked miles away and walked in, went down the sides to avoid Wembley way until the steps, it looked a mess though was difficult to not walk on glass. I luckily went fairly early, so got in before most of the bad stuff, someone did try to follow me into the ground through my turnstile, luckily they were smaller than me so I stopped them! Then I was in the back row at the top tier so no-one was coming that far up so I came away unscathed. 

Pretty angry though, when did it become acceptable to try and break into the ground? The lack of police was scandalous, a handful of riot police would've been a pretty major deterrent. I saw plenty of people at the semi final sneaking in too, it wasn't difficult at all. They barely even checked my stuff, then it's an electronic turnstile. I agree with the perfect storm aspect but the lack of policing made it possible for people to consider this option. 

it was a well known issue so no wonder so many turned up. It's so sad to see all these kids and disabled people that will have got caught up in this. Even the fans who felt they had to fight the intruders. This is all not even to mention booing the anthem and the abuse the players received for losing the coin toss of a shootout. 

Sad as it's tarnished what had been an amazing tournament for us, where we jumped another level and actually felt like we were eating at the top table, not just happy to be there. I still have high hopes for the team but my expectations for the country as less positive. 

Apologies for the rant, I blame SM for triggering me there haha  Big Grin
(14-07-2021, 06:43 AM)Tricky Wrote: Apparently, more than 100,000 people have signed an online petition demanding the final be replayed after the fouls on Grelish and Saka were only punished with yellow cards. WTF! We lost, get over it

That is ridiculous. This sounds a bit football-snobbish but I imagine most of those signing wouldn't have been regular football watchers. The foul on Saka looked bad because he was tugged back so dramatically but at that place on the pitch it's never a red card. Neither was the Grealish one - the player's studs clearly bounced off the ball before they hit Jack.
The guy in that article, Pablo, represents all that is wrong with a section of our society today. He's one who wont accept that they cant have something. A feeling of entitlement. Im glad you avoided bother Wassy and I happy for you that you got tickets and enjoyed yourself.
(14-07-2021, 09:30 AM)wassy04 Wrote:
(13-07-2021, 04:23 PM)Salvatore Matrecano Wrote: Just reading an Article on the Athletic about the crowd trouble at Wembley before the final which looks worse than I had realised. It does sound a bit of a perfect storm of all day drinking, ticketless fans and inadequate stewarding.

I've left a scathing comment about it in the comments section on that article haha!

It's really soured the day for me, the semi final was one of the best nights I've ever had, the final was less fun and not just because of the shootout (although I suspect I'd be less angry if we'd won) My personal experience wasn't that bad, I drove from my parents house which is about an hour away as no late trains back there. Parked miles away and walked in, went down the sides to avoid Wembley way until the steps, it looked a mess though was difficult to not walk on glass. I luckily went fairly early, so got in before most of the bad stuff, someone did try to follow me into the ground through my turnstile, luckily they were smaller than me so I stopped them! Then I was in the back row at the top tier so no-one was coming that far up so I came away unscathed. 

Pretty angry though, when did it become acceptable to try and break into the ground? The lack of police was scandalous, a handful of riot police would've been a pretty major deterrent. I saw plenty of people at the semi final sneaking in too, it wasn't difficult at all. They barely even checked my stuff, then it's an electronic turnstile. I agree with the perfect storm aspect but the lack of policing made it possible for people to consider this option. 

it was a well known issue so no wonder so many turned up. It's so sad to see all these kids and disabled people that will have got caught up in this. Even the fans who felt they had to fight the intruders. This is all not even to mention booing the anthem and the abuse the players received for losing the coin toss of a shootout. 

Sad as it's tarnished what had been an amazing tournament for us, where we jumped another level and actually felt like we were eating at the top table, not just happy to be there. I still have high hopes for the team but my expectations for the country as less positive. 

Apologies for the rant, I blame SM for triggering me there haha  Big Grin

Thanks for your review of your experience Wassy. I'm glad you or any of your party got caught up in the bedlam mate.

Only a few more weeks before you are entering into the relative calm of entering the WFCG once again!!
(Said in a phoney gruff American accent) Coming soon, to a Predictions League near you.....................GOALDEN GOAL!!! See thread for details!
Good win and good performance last night in Budapest. I thought we might have a bit of a hangover from the Euros but it seems not.

Imagine having to live in Hungary by the way.
Πιστέψτε το, θα τα καταφέρω.