Nottingham Forest - Sheffield Wednesday
(17-12-2020, 11:21 AM)McDurban Wrote: I thought Yates got a red card a few games ago?
When does his suspension start?

Been & gone...
Reply
(17-12-2020, 11:24 AM)ThePromisedLand Wrote:
(17-12-2020, 11:21 AM)McDurban Wrote: I thought Yates got a red card a few games ago?
When does his suspension start?

Been & gone...

Oh dear, I really should pay more attention.
Reply
(17-12-2020, 11:38 AM)McDurban Wrote:
(17-12-2020, 11:24 AM)ThePromisedLand Wrote:
(17-12-2020, 11:21 AM)McDurban Wrote: I thought Yates got a red card a few games ago?
When does his suspension start?

Been & gone...

Oh dear, I really should pay more attention.
Only 1 game for a red card for handball.

Was suspended for the Norwich game
Reply
(16-12-2020, 09:06 PM)Maltared Wrote:
(16-12-2020, 11:25 AM)Paplane Wrote:
(16-12-2020, 11:14 AM)ThePromisedLand Wrote:
(16-12-2020, 09:36 AM)Sniffer Dog Wrote:
(15-12-2020, 11:17 PM)wassy04 Wrote: Funny how quiet is it tonight on here! Everyone is obviously very satisfied for a change

Unfortunately there are 1 or 2 who only show up when we are losing to make derogatory comments. Sad but true.

Good solid performance last night and I'm especially delighted for Grabban, Mighten, Soh and Cafu who is slowly starting to look like a decent signing.

Delighted for Grabbs.
Class is permanent.
Don’t know about the less regular posters Sniff - but if you go back a few pages on the ‘Grabban’ thread there were a number giving Grabban heaps of stick ( inc quite a few regulars ).
Every dog has its day...

Grabban showed in just those 15 minutes why he's so such a good player. Strong and confident on the ball, movement off the ball, one chance created by some persistence and a class finish. It was so refreshing to see. I don't want to knock Taylor as he showed some improvement last night but he's nowhere near Grabban's level yet. He missed a few chances last night which if he'd put away would've meant we finished the night comfortably with our slippers on and smoking a big cigar. In the end I was counting down the clock from 70 minutes and just awaiting the inevitable equaliser.
I also hope that Grabs is back but let's not go over the top with yesterday. I was pleased with finish, it wasn't easy, intact he missed easier chances than yesterday's,  but by then Wednesday were tired ( even Pulis said that) and Grabs made the most of this. Taylor did thd dirty work in the previous 75 minutes.
We need both Taylor and Grabs fit. Why? They are not similar players. If one is struggling the other might be useful and vice versa. Can we play them both at the same time? I doubt it. We dont have that luxury,  we need wingers that know their job and central midfield that blocks the opposition and create chances immediately after.

Not often I find myself agreeing with you MR but exactly right imo. Taylor put in the hard yards Tuesday night which definitely helped Grabban to do his thing when he came on. Not taking anything away from Grabban at all, his 15 minute cameo was excellent topped off with a really cool finish. Just think Taylor deserved credit.

There are some signs of us having a threat from wide too. Sami was back on it and I loved what young Alex Mighten brings. With Knockeart having registered a goal and assist at last too it takes the pressure off Lolley. 

Where I do differ from you slightly- at least further down the line - is that if that wide threat becomes consistent then Sow and Yates will not need the extra midfielder and if Grabs and Taylor are fully fit then they could be a dangerous partnership. 

On form, they both know how to find the back of the net, both are mobile and have good movement, but Taylor's strengths of his work rate, aerial ability and holding up the ball would potentially play to Grabbans strengths of his movement around the box and finishing ability. 

Alot of "ifs" admittedly, keeping Sow fit, the wide players looking threatening and keeping both CFs fit and on form being just 3 of the variables. Add in stopping giving away daft goals and Samba getting out of his dip in form and it becomes obvious why we are where we are I suppose. 

Chris Hughton actually prefers 2 up top in this league, but alot has to fall in to place first.

Baby steps...the first ones of which were taken on Tuesday.
Reply
I agree that Taylor put in some hard yards on Tuesday and his performance on the night was much better than it's been of late. But Tuesday aside, his performance levels have been dropping imo. So much so that he was actually subbed off against Brentford when we were chasing the game. That drop off may be due to fitness, ie playing as a lone forward for a number of consecutive games, so understandable I suppose. Confidence (having not scored) will also be a factor.

But the point I was trying to make was that Grabban played every game last season in that role and soldiered on. No wonder his goals and levels dropped off at the end, he must've been running on empty. Bigging up Grabban doesn't diminish Taylor's ability, it's just people on here were suggesting that Grabban was expendable now we had Taylor on board. That's not the case imo and Tuesday's 15 minute cameo showed just what a fully fit and functioning Grabban adds to the side.
Reply
i think the starting 11 did a good job, reduced Wednesday's moral, cohesiveness quite significantly and paved the way for Grabban to make the impact against tired defenders, i'm sure it could of worked equally as well if Grabban had started and Taylor could well of come on and taken all the plaudits

Wednesday's team ethic was notably in decline as the game went on, arguing with each other, not bothering to check on their team mates who were down and congratulating Forest players on scoring and a general lack of happy smiling Wednesday players

experienced, talented players like Grabbs and Knocky can see the game unfold and as it goes on are more and more motivated and can see more and more clearly how much they can put their stamp on the game in a short time, hopefully be a long list of players like this but ultimately the heroes were the starting 11, many of whom have played alot of games, Sammy Ammy, Taylor, Ribs, Christie to name a few of the real architects as in foundation diggers and muckers who did the spade work
Reply
(17-12-2020, 01:04 PM)Paplane Wrote: I agree that Taylor put in some hard yards on Tuesday and his performance on the night was much better than it's been of late. But Tuesday aside, his performance levels have been dropping imo. So much so that he was actually subbed off against Brentford when we were chasing the game. That drop off may be due to fitness, ie playing as a lone forward for a number of consecutive games, so understandable I suppose. Confidence (having not scored) will also be a factor.

But the point I was trying to make was that Grabban played every game last season in that role and soldiered on. No wonder his goals and levels dropped off at the end, he must've been running on empty. Bigging up Grabban doesn't diminish Taylor's ability, it's just people on here were suggesting that Grabban was expendable now we had Taylor on board. That's not the case imo and Tuesday's 15 minute cameo showed just what a fully fit and functioning Grabban adds to the side.

Agree with pretty much all of this. However, a striker is very dependent on the service. The less chances provided the more you snatch at them when they do come. Taylor's and Grabbans goalscoring is a reflection of the teams form as much as there own.

I also think we should celebrate the fact we have two quality strikers rather than people keep comparing and berating either of them as some have - not yourself.

Strikers go through lean spells. Some people dont appear to understand that. We are fortunate to have two quality options to work with.

Aside from that I think Taylor has slotted in remarkably well for a new player.
Reply
(17-12-2020, 01:38 PM)zicorice Wrote:
(17-12-2020, 01:04 PM)Paplane Wrote: I agree that Taylor put in some hard yards on Tuesday and his performance on the night was much better than it's been of late. But Tuesday aside, his performance levels have been dropping imo. So much so that he was actually subbed off against Brentford when we were chasing the game. That drop off may be due to fitness, ie playing as a lone forward for a number of consecutive games, so understandable I suppose. Confidence (having not scored) will also be a factor.

But the point I was trying to make was that Grabban played every game last season in that role and soldiered on. No wonder his goals and levels dropped off at the end, he must've been running on empty. Bigging up Grabban doesn't diminish Taylor's ability, it's just people on here were suggesting that Grabban was expendable now we had Taylor on board. That's not the case imo and Tuesday's 15 minute cameo showed just what a fully fit and functioning Grabban adds to the side.

Agree with pretty much all of this. However, a striker is very dependent on the service. The less chances provided the more you snatch at them when they do come. Taylor's and Grabbans goalscoring is a reflection of the teams form as much as there own.

I also think we should celebrate the fact we have two quality strikers rather than people keep comparing and berating either of them as some have - not yourself.

Strikers go through lean spells. Some people dont appear to understand that. We are fortunate to have two quality options to work with.

Aside from that I think Taylor has slotted in remarkably well for a new player.

Taylor's been completely isolated during this recent bad run. No service to him, no crosses, back to goal all the time receiving hopeless punts up front from his hapless teammates. Completely understandable that he has scored very few and begun to look jaded. The improvement on Tuesday was that he had Cafu playing with freedom further forward who was able to run with the ball and pass in the opposition's half. And Ameobi seems to have grown in confidence and was a decent outlet too. That meant a few chances were created for Taylor. But my concern is that it was Wednesday's formation that allowed that to happen and Millwall will be ready for us so we may find Taylor's back to being on his own again on Saturday with no support available. If that's going to be the case, then Grabban should start and stay on for as long as he can manage. Let a fresh Taylor come on and score the winner this time.
Reply
And the reason that Cafu managed to get further up the pitch was because Sow played
Reply
(17-12-2020, 02:41 PM)Username Wrote: And the reason that Cafu managed to get further up the pitch was because Sow played

Yep, a lot of our chances this season seem to rest on Sow staying fit and not getting suspended.
Reply
Telling that a fit (!) Sow again acts as Talisman to a Forest win.

Quality cm.

SA.
Reply
I didnt watch the game on Tuesday cos of work, but I have seen the extended highlights, which doesnt really answer the question I am going to ask, as I genuinely don't know.

Did Wednesday press our players when we had possession? If not, then that could also be a reason why Sow and Cafu were so instrumental in finding their passes. This is not being negative, more realistic.

If Millwall high press us, then I fear we will revert back to huff and puff, like we have done against every other side that has pressed us high. Until sides sit back and take the foot off the gas a bit, we do not seem to have an answer for it and that goes for last season as well! High pressing sides also always manage to draw Sow into making at least one rash challenge and he ends up with a yellow card or he hurts himself.

However, I did note that young Alex ran at the Wednesday defence and that did cause them a few problems. Would he have the same affect on the Millwall defence? Maybe draw a few fouls out of them in dangerous positions?
"It's Tricky to rock a rhyme, to rock a rhyme that's right on time, it's Trickay, It's Tricky, Tricky, Tricky Tricky" - Run DMC
Reply


Forum Jump: