29-10-2020, 11:47 AM
(29-10-2020, 10:20 AM)ozzyten10 Wrote: I’ve stuck up for Yates plenty of times.
Apologies: this started out as a brief post and then became PSP esque as I got more and more angry with how a minority treat our developing players...
Same I've taken pelters for defending him. After his first 3 games (under MON?) it was obvious that he would become a very good player. Being young he said himself he had alot still to learn. When his form inevitably dipped, he naturally received criticism. However some of that criticism was over the top, stating he can't pass, is crap, will never be a footballer etc and some was downright vitriolic.
As others have stated, we have had scapegoats going back to our most successful captain of all time. I get that football is emotional- I am the worst for being a mardy sod all week when we lose - but I wish the criticism could be more balanced.
Yates was very very good in out last two games and I believe he will get better and better. His passing yesterday was very crisp and often progressive, his first touch in tight spots was superb and the way he received the ball under pressure was excellent. These are three areas some people said he didn't do properly?, that his technique was flawed!! He couldn't do the "basics". No doubt there will be a response that he has been working on them in training. As if suddenly having been working on his touch and receiving the ball since the age of 7, it's all suddenly come together by a bit of extra practice. No, he seems to be playing with that confidence we first saw when he broke into the side and his ability is coming through as a result.
Heres the thing: This J curve of performance nearly always happens with young players as they develop. Form is temporary, class is permanent. Osborne, Cash (albeit a positional change sent the curve rapidly upwards), Worrall and maybe Figs (cant remember his age) all have gone or are going through it. At some point Mighten will look the business as a starter and go through it. Oli Burke is looking pretty lively again at Sheff Utd it seems.
Suggesting a player could do with taking out of the firing line or saying a player had a poor game/is struggling for form is very different to saying a player is a pile of sh1t/we should have sold him/I would pay for his taxi/will never be good enough/ is a league one player at best etc.
Chris Cohen did a typically measured interview about how Forest should be in the Prem, but it is a hard club to perform for. There are many reasons and there should be expectations. Players probably shouldn't but do read social media. On a human level how can it not subconsciously have an effect if it is clear that a vocal minority slate you in such a personal manner after an off day at work?
I could go on (and I have), most of the posters on this site tend to be fairer and balanced-its why most of us us this forum...soap box session over.
